Field Service Engineer Level 2 / Level 1
Step out of your comfort zone, excel and redefine the limits of what is possible. That's just what our employees are doing every single day - in order to set the pace through our innovations and enable outstanding achievements. After all, behind every successful company are many great fascinating people.
The Field Service Engineer Level 2 is an intermediate level field service position that has met the FSE Level 1 requirements and necessitates frequent use and general knowledge of industry practices, techniques, and standards required to install, service and maintain assigned systems. Success in this role requires a solid understanding of the theory, application and technical workings of all required equipment and an ability to work independently on them in a customer setting. Success requires the ability to support a given account base, retain contract customers, complete PMs on time, and perform administrative duties accurately and timely. Level 2 FSEs must utilize their training to effectively diagnose and troubleshoot issues they encounter in the field. Effective and efficient troubleshooting is imperative in this role. Level 2 FSEs are expected to escalate quickly and via the appropriate process when customers complain or when technical support is required to resolve a challenging issue. This is a customer-facing role and therefore strong interpersonal skills and an ability to communicate effectively are required to be successful. Excellent time management skills are a must in order to be an effective, efficient Field Service Engineer. As the level of proficiency increases, highly performing Level 2 FSEs may be asked to assist Level 1 FSEs.
We are looking for people who are keen to try something new:
- Provide industry-leading installation services for new equipment with an attention to detail, a high standard for system performance and a professional hand-off to the customer.
- Independently troubleshoot and successfully diagnose issues on assigned equipment quickly and accurately so that a repair can happen within a single visit.
- Confirm all SVOs within 24 hours of finishing the work following all procedures and guidelines for spare parts and time allocations.
- Provide accurate and detailed as requested for billable quotations within 24 hours.
- Complete all PMs for contract customers within 90 days of SVO assignment using proper checklists and documentation which must be shared with the customer.
- Escalate any unresolved issue using the appropriate process quickly to ensure customer satisfaction and rapid resolution.
- Educate customers on possible upgrades and accessories to improve the capabilities of their equipment and pass any and all leads to the proper channels.
- Connect all available systems to the ZEISS Predictive Service network.
- Conduct special site or system environmental analysis tests as assigned by management.
- Train customers on basic system operation and maintenance using established guidelines.
- Properly care for all ZEISS tools and assets as may be made available during the execution of assigned responsibilities.
- Return spares parts within 1 week and manage individual Stock on Memo (SOM) account in an accurate and timely fashion.
- Successful completion of all assigned technical training to acquire a thorough knowledge of assigned company equipment. This includes completing all required pre-reading assignments before all classroom courses, independently studying all materials and passing the courses to the satisfaction of the instructors.
- Actively engages in personal development (leverages the content available on the ZEISS CurioZ online training portal, as well as self-inspired development of knowledge as it relates to the role)
- Responsible for your personal safety when visiting labs and institutions by understanding the basics of lab behavior and an awareness of risks
- Respect, live and share with internal and external customers, the ZEISS values.
- Other duties as assigned by manager
- 4-year degree or technical certificate in technical/scientific discipline, related military electronics experience or an equivalent combination of training and experience such as 3+ years direct experience building, maintaining, installing, and/or repairing similarly complex automated electromechanical systems.
- Sound knowledge and understanding of Laboratory Safety requirements for BSL 1, 2, and 3 environments, as well as specimen handling of Level 3 (and below) pathogenic biohazards (e.g., bacteria, viruses, fungi, parasites, and prions)
- Ability to understand and troubleshoot problems in software, electronics, optics and electron optics, high voltage, high vacuum, mechanical, and electro-mechanical systems
- Knowledge of Windows operating environments and word processing and or email applications. Familiarity with databases or CRM Systems a plus.
- Ability to read and understand electrical or mechanical engineering documentation and schematics.
- Proven ability to work successfully as an individual contributor or as part of a team.
- Good communication skills, able to converse readily in English, both verbally and in writing. (German a plus.)
- Good administrative and time management skills
- Capable and willing to engage customers in their workspace/environment, including BSL -2 and BSL-3 facilities. If capable and willing, may be asked to engage in a BSL-4 environment.
- Willingness and ability to travel domestically and overseas.
- In addition to service function, may asked to work in assigned teams on defined projects as directed by management.
- Lifting of heavy equipment crates required; crate weight ~ 75 lbs.
- Must have driving record in good standing, a valid U.S. driver license, and be able to drive a company provided car/van.
- Frequent overnight travel, domestic and international (average 50%)
- Able to obtain corporate credit card
- Participation of six months to one-year of formal training as a Field Service Engineer and proficiently maintains all duties and associated responsibilities
In a spacious modern setting full of opportunities for further development, ZEISS employees work in a place where expert knowledge and team spirit reign supreme. All of this is supported by a special ownership structure and the long-term goal of the Carl Zeiss Foundation: to bring science and society into the future together.
Join us today. Inspire people tomorrow.
Diversity is a part of ZEISS. We look forward to receiving your application regardless of gender, nationality, ethnic and social origin, religion, philosophy of life, disability, age, sexual orientation or identity.
Apply now! It takes less than 10 minutes.
ZEISS is an EEO/AA/M/F/Disabled/Veteran Employer