Field Service Engineer
San Francisco, CA
Step out of your comfort zone, excel and redefine the limits of what is possible. That's just what our employees are doing every single day - in order to set the pace through our innovations and enable outstanding achievements. After all, behind every successful company are many great fascinating people.
The Field Service Engineer Level 1 is an entry level field service position requiring a strong background in electronics and mechanics. Success in this role requires a strong dedication to learning and the rapid absorption of training material as a high percentage of their time will be spent in technical training courses both domestic and international. Learning of basic application principles is also a requirement to provide technical service. When not in classroom training the Level 1 FSE will be engaged in on-the-job- training, working closely with, and assisting higher level FSEs in a customer environment. This is a customer-facing role and therefore strong interpersonal skills and an ability to communicate effectively are required to be successful. Excellent time management skills are a must in order to be a successful Field Service Engineer. As the training progresses the Level 1 FSE will be assigned basic task and service orders to complete on their own.
We are looking for people who are keen to try something new:
- Successful completion of all assigned technical training to acquire a thorough knowledge of assigned company equipment. This includes completing all required pre-reading assignments before all classroom courses, independently studying all materials and passing the courses to the satisfaction of the instructors.
- Demonstrate, in the field, that the technical concepts learned in the classroom trainings and OJT can be applied to a high standard.
- Learn and demonstrate the ability to use all required administrative applications for service order management, spare parts/inventory management, time reporting, expense reporting, etc.
- Engage as an active participant in all on-the-job-training (OJT); listening carefully, taking notes, asking questions, assisting when asked and absorbing the content fully.
- Completion of the CONTact Training and the application in practice of the principles, concepts and teachings of the course.
- Assist other FSEs with tasks such as service order management or inventory management as requested by the Regional Field Service Manager.
- Under supervision and following established protocols, provide a full range of installation services and preventive and corrective maintenance, on the assigned set of systems manufactured by ZEISS Microscopy.
- Conduct special site or system environmental analysis tests as assigned by management.
- Using established guidelines, train customers on basic system operation and maintenance.
- Properly care for all ZEISS tools and assets as may be made available during the execution of assigned responsibilities.
- Actively engages in personal development (leverages the content available on the ZEISS CurioZ online training portal, as well as self-inspired development of knowledge as it relates to the role)
- Responsible for your personal safety when visiting labs and institutions by understanding the basics of lab behavior and an awareness of risks
- Respect, live and share with internal and external customers, the ZEISS values.
- Other duties as assigned by manager
- 4-year degree or technical certificate in technical/scientific discipline, related military electronics experience or an equivalent combination of training and experience such as 3+ years direct experience building, maintaining, installing, and/or repairing similarly complex automated electromechanical systems.
- Sound knowledge and understanding of Laboratory Safety requirements for BSL 1, 2, and 3 environments, as well as specimen handling of Level 3 (and below) pathogenic biohazards (e.g., bacteria, viruses, fungi, parasites, and prions)
- Ability to understand and troubleshoot problems in software, electronics, optics and electron optics, high voltage, high vacuum, mechanical, and electro-mechanical systems
- Knowledge of Windows operating environments and word processing and or email applications. Familiarity with databases or CRM Systems a plus.
- Ability to read and understand electrical or mechanical engineering documentation and schematics.
- Proven ability to work successfully as an individual contributor or as part of a team.
- Good communication skills, able to converse readily in English, both verbally and in writing. (German a plus.)
- Good administrative and time management skills
- Capable and willing to engage customers in their workspace/environment, including BSL -2 and BSL-3 facilities. If capable and willing, may be asked to engage in a BSL-4 environment.
- Willingness and ability to travel domestically and overseas. In addition to service function, may asked to work in assigned teams on defined projects as directed by management. Lifting of heavy equipment crates required; crate weight ~ 75 lbs. Must have driving record in good standing, a valid U.S. driver license, and be able to drive a company provided car/van.
- Frequent overnight travel, domestic and international (average 50%)
- Able to obtain corporate credit card
- Participation of six months to one-year of formal training as a Field Service Engineer and proficiently maintains all duties and associated responsibilities
In a spacious modern setting full of opportunities for further development, ZEISS employees work in a place where expert knowledge and team spirit reign supreme. All of this is supported by a special ownership structure and the long-term goal of the Carl Zeiss Foundation: to bring science and society into the future together.
Join us today. Inspire people tomorrow.
Diversity is a part of ZEISS. We look forward to receiving your application regardless of gender, nationality, ethnic and social origin, religion, philosophy of life, disability, age, sexual orientation or identity.
Apply now! It takes less than 10 minutes.
ZEISS is an EEO/AA/M/F/Disabled/Veteran Employer